We have recently become aware of a Computer Phishing scheme where fraudulent ads are presented as pop-ups on personal computers inviting the recipient to receive a free credit report by entering their credit card information. Please note, that you should always be suspicious of any advertisements in a pop-up, and First National Bank and Trust (FNBT) will never sell a service, or ask for personal information in this manner.
To protect yourself from this type of scam:
- Make sure you have anti-virus and anti-spyware software installed on your computer, keep them updated, and run a full system scan at least weekly.
- Keep your computer operating system up to date, and your firewall turned on.
- Use strong passwords for secure sites. These should include eight or more characters with random numbers, and change your passwords at least every six months.
- If you download anything from the Internet such as music, movies, or pictures, make sure you do so only from trusted websites. Downloads can be infected with spyware attached to the file.
- Watch for signs of spyware - frequent pop-up ads, unexpected icons on your desktop, random error messages or sluggish computer performance are all signs of infection. Run a full system anti-virus and anti-spyware scan to safely remove.
- Be careful when using public computers to perform any type of personal transactions. Just logging into a website may give away passwords and other private information if spyware has been installed on the computer.
If you receive this type of pop-up, please verify first that no personal information was given. If any information was compromised, immediately contact us
so we can take steps to help protect your accounts.
Keep in mind, our one
and Privilege Plus
checking accounts include the following benefits as added protection:
- ID Theft Aid - including payment card fraud resolution and $2,500 in personal identity theft benefit
- ID Monitoring - designed to secure your personal and financial information
Visit our online resource center
for additional information and education regarding Phishing and Identity Theft Prevention